October 19th & 20th, 2019
Join us for our 20th Anniversary!
About the Challenge
The goal for participants of the Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey is to visit (and hopefully climb) all of New Jersey’s maintained lighthouses to share in the joy and beauty of our beloved navigational aids which represent a rich nautical history and stand as a testament to a level of engineering and quality that withstands the test of time.
An interesting education is to be gained as the tour also includes museums related to the lighthouses as well as life saving stations which served to rescue those who despite the navigational aid of the lighthouses still shipwrecked of off our coastlines.
You will enjoy touring the great state of New Jersey as you work to earn a souvenir at each tour site to show your efforts and accomplishment. Along the way you may even discover a new side of New Jersey as the lighthouses tend to be in less populated, coastal areas which still maintain the charm often lost in the more densely populated areas of our fine state.
How To Participate
- Take a look at the lighthouses on a physical or digital map.
- Decide which lighthouse you would like to begin at.
- Plan a route from your starting lighthouse to each other lighthouse. Our directions may be helpful.
- Consider that your route may involve staying overnight somewhere based on which lighthouses you attend on the first day.
- On Saturday morning, go to your first lighthouse and be sure to pick up a souvenier penny booklet for $ 5.00. This can be obtained at any lighthouse; so you may start at whichever you like. Each lighthouse will have a custom crushed penny to contribute to your booklet in commemoration of your support. At the end of the challenge you will have a complete souvenir booklet to keep for having for accomplished the Challenge!!
- Begin to travel to New Jersey's Lighthouses, Museums, and Life Saving Stations to experience a living history of service and seafaring!
- Once you have attended all of the sites on the challenge, notify volunteers at your final site that you have accomplished the challenge and you'll be in the drawing for a prize worth $ 1,000.
† indicates night climbs on Saturday
|Site Hours||Site Hours||Fee to Climb?||Restrictions?||Restrooms?||Food Nearby?|
|Absecon||08a - 08p †||08a - 06p||$8.00 Adult / $5.00 Child / $7.00 Senior||None||Yes (Handicap)||Yes|
|Barnegat||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||None||Yes (Handicap)||Nearby|
|Cape May||08a - 08p †||08a - 06p||$10.00||None||Yes (Handicap)||Nearby|
|East Point||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||$5.00||None||Yes (Handicap)||Yes|
|Finn's Point||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||None||No||Nearby|
|Squan Life Saving Station (New)||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Navesink Twins||Donation Requested||None||Yes (Handicap)||Nearby|
|—North Tower||08a - 06p||08a - 06p|
|—South Tower||09a - 06p||09a - 06p|
|Sandy Hook||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||Under 48"||Yes (Handicap)||Nearby|
|Sea Girt||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||None||Yes||Nearby|
|Tinicum||07a - 08p †||07a - 06p||Donation Requested||Under 42"||Yes (Handicap)||Yes|
|Tucker's Island||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||$3.00||None||Yes (Handicap)||Yes|
|Tatham Life Saving Station||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||Handicap Accessible||Yes (Handicap)||Yes|
|U.S. Station 30||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||None||Unknown||Nearby|
|Barnegat Museum||08a - 06p||08a - 06p||Donation Requested||Handicap Accessible||Yes||Nearby|