Finn's Point Rear Range

609-463-0994

Lighthouse Road
Pennsville, New Jersey 08070

Finn's Point Rear Range's Website

By an act of Congress in 1875, $55,000 was set apart for two pairs of range lights to help vessels transition from the Delaware Bay into the Delaware River. The Port Penn Range, located in Delaware, would guide traffic along the shipping channel from Ship John Shoal to Ready Island, while the Finns Point Range would help vessels continue up the river, passing between Ready Island and Baker Shoal.

Lieutenant Colonel William F. Raynolds of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers oversaw the construction of the front and rear range lights at Finns Point. The front light was located near the banks of the Delaware River and was displayed from a frame dwelling that was one and one half stories high with shingle roof, double weather-boarded on outside and lathed and plastered inside. It rests on stone walls founded on wooden piles. The first story is divided into three rooms, with hall and stairways to the second floor and cellar, and shed over back door; porch and bay-window in front; the second story is divided similarly to the first; with step-ladder to lantern on the third floor; a gallery supported by brackets surrounds the lantern on front and sides.

The illuminating apparatus was a fourth-order range lens manufactured By Barbier and Fenestre in Paris, which focused the light from a fourth-order Funk Heap lamp with one wick. A weight suspended from the lantern room, powered an eclipser that raised and lowered a cylindrical shade around the light to produce two seconds of light followed by one second of darkness. The keeper was required to wind the weight every six and a half hours to keep the eclipser functioning.