East 5th Street and Central Avenue
Barnegat Light, New Jersey 08006
Barnegat Light Historical's Website
The museum is in the building that was the one-room school for Barnegat Light from 1903 to 1954.The museum is on the National Register of Historical Places. The museum features artifacts, replicas and photographs depicting the history of Barnegat Light and Long Beach Island.
One of the major features in the museum is the First Order Flashing Lens from the Barnegat Light Lighthouse, build by the French Physicist Augustin Fresnel. It was capable of throwing its light 20 miles or more to the horizon. Construction of the present lighthouse began in 1857 and was completed in 1858. The lens was removed in 1927 when the Barnegat Lightship took up station off Barnegat Inlet. The lens was sent to the Tompkinsville Lighthouse Depot on Staten Island, New York. In 1954, the lens was returned to the town of Barnegat Light and now is on exhibit in the museum.